Saturday, February 21, 2015

Thankful for Hand Sanitizer

Early this morning, I was walking to work, when I heard all this chatter about a man that jumped off the roof of the asylum. What if this is a sign? What if someone is coming to get me to take me to the asylum? My OCD gets worse and worse each week. I have gotten to the point where I use hand sanitizer every time I walk into a new room. All I want to do some days is live my life in a glass cage. A glass bubble. Not plastic, because plastic wouldn’t be thick enough. Oh, and the glass would have an automatic cleaner that would constantly remove any smudges. Sadly, I can’t clean away my obsessive and compulsive thoughts with hand sanitizer.

I decided that I needed a drink, so I headed down to the bar. On my way there, taking two footsteps in each cement square of the sidewalk, I realized that a blue Subaru seemed to be following me. Freaked out, I turned down an alley way to let it pass. I saw some girl in front of graffiti crying about how now everyone knows about it. Who knows what her deal is. The only part of the graffiti that I could see said "Serenity, remember how..." I stopped for a split second to try to figure out if she is ok, but then just end up staring because social interaction with strangers isn’t my strong suit. Suddenly, all I could think was “Oh no no no no no!!  No. No. No. This is not good! What did I just do!” I realized I had been stepping on a crack in the sidewalk. Great, now I will have bad luck. I walked briskly away from the girl by the graffiti and concentrated on taking only two steps per square until I finally made it to the bar. 

The bar was packed, so I sat at the counter in the corner seat. Next to me, was a sad, lonesome looking man, and in front of him was a glass of scotch, with no ice. He looked like he had a rough day. I thought multiple times to myself, "Maybe I should talk to him. I wonder what his story is?" But then, I was repulsed as I realized that his dirty, or rather filthy, jacket had been touching the side of my leg, and to make matters worse, it got a blue dot of what looked like paint on my leg. That was enough. I needed to go take a shower, or rather bathe myself in disinfectant. 


4 comments:

  1. There is definitely a conflict within the character herself. It seems as if she is constantly battling herself for normalcy and sanity. I think Christine's motivations are staying in control and not loosing her life as she has lost her childhood, is that true? Safety and security seems to be the common thoughts that pop up. Slowly but surely her anxiety is getting worse. I would've thought that her reaction to the bakery robbery would have been more grand and dramatic just because of her condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like this passage and I was wondering why exactly is Christine so eager to talk to this man before she is aware of his filth? "The bar was packed, so I sat at the counter in the corner seat. Next to me, was a sad, lonesome looking man, and in front of him was a glass of scotch, with no ice. He looked like he had a rough day. I thought multiple times to myself, "Maybe I should talk to him. I wonder what his story is?" But then, I was repulsed as I realized that his dirty, or rather filthy, jacket had been touching the side of my leg, and to make matters worse, it got a blue dot of what looked like paint on my leg. That was enough. I needed to go take a shower, or rather bathe myself in disinfectant." I like the alarm in this passage and the description of his filth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do a great job with imagery and describing the situation, I just expect big reactions and situations that were all blown out of proportion. You also did a great job with consistency throughout your blogs. Through each blog I learn something more about Christine. But at some point she will need to grow as a character.

    ReplyDelete